• Vivamus lobortis
  • Ut porttitor urna ut pretium
  • Phasellus convallis tincidunt enim.

Mansions and Terraces

This area contains information about various St Kilda Mansions and Terraces. Listings are arranged by streets.

 

Acland Street

Acland Street

Named after Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, 10th Baronet (29 March 1787 – 22 July 1871) of Killerton Manor in Devon who was a British politician and land owner. He was the owner of the cruiser yacht Lady of St KIlda from 1834 to1840, after which the area was named during one of the ship's visits to Melbourne in 1842. The yacht was named after his wife Lydia Hoare who was the first English lady to set foot on Atlantic St Kilda in 1812.

Read more


Alma Road

Alma Road

Named after the Battle of the Alma (20 September 1854), usually considered as the first battle of the Crimean War (1853–1856), which took place just south of the River Alma in the Crimea. An Anglo-French force under General St. Arnaud and Lord Raglan defeated General Menshikov's Russian army, which lost around 6,000 troops.

Read more


Barkly Street

Barkly Street

Named after Sir Henry Barkly, GCMG, KCB, FRS, FRGS (24 February 1815 – 20 October 1898) who was a British politician, colonial governor and patron of the sciences. He was Governor of Victoria from 26 December 1856 until 10 September 1863. Prior to 1857 this was know as Boundary Road as it marked the extent of the City of Melbourne's jurisdiction.

Read more


Blessington Street

Blessington Street

Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington (1 September 1789 – 4 June 1849) was an Irish novelist. She was for some years editor of The Book of Beauty and The Keepsake, popular annuals of the day. In 1834 she published her Conversations with Lord Byron. Her Idler in Italy (1839–1840), and Idler in France(1841) were popular for their personal gossip and anecdotes, descriptions of nature and sentiment.

Read more


Brighton Road

Brighton Road

Covering the suburbs of Balaclava, Elwood, Ripponlea and St Kilda, Brighton Road is the main road between St Kilda and Brighton.

Read more



Canterbury Road

Canterbury Road

Named after Lord Canterbury, Governor of Victoria, Canterbury Road is a mainly residential street which passes through Albert Park, Middle Park and St Kilda West.

Read more


Carlisle Street

Carlisle Street

Named after the Earl of Carlisle (a title which has been created three times in the history of England), Carlisle Street has been an important shopping strip and residential area of St Kilda. Pictured here is the railway bridge, without the currently existing "The Lady of St. Kilda" artwork.

Read more



Charnwood Grove

Charnwood Grove

Named after Charnwood House, built as a residence for Octavius Browne in 1851. Designed by Samuel Jackson, it was located in one of the highest positions in St Kilda.

Read more


Crimea Street

Named after the historic battle ground on the Black Sea. Crimea is a peninsula in Eastern Europe, claimed by Ukraine but administered by Russia.

Read more


Dalgety Street

Dalgety Street

Named after Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety, merchant and financier. Born in Canada, he moved to Melbourne in 1842 and managed a wool firm. He also moved into the gold trade. Many Australian stores imported goods through Dalgety.

Read more


Dandenong Road

Dandenong Road

The main road from St Kilda to Dandenong, by the 1850s it turned Dandenong into a "gateway for Gippsland". The name "Dandenong" is thought to be derived from the Woiwurrung word "Tanjenong" meaning "lofty mountains".

Read more


Eildon Road

Eildon Road

Named after nearby Eildon Mansion, located on Grey Street. The building has bay views and was previously called "Barham House". It is now the headquarters for Alliance Francaise.

Read more


Esplanade

Esplanade

The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress' guns. In modern usage the space allows people to walk for recreational purposes; esplanades are often on sea fronts, and allow walking whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach. Esplanades became popular in Victorian times when it was fashionable to visit seaside resorts.

Read more


Fitzroy Street

Fitzroy Street

Sir Charles Augustus FitzRoy, KCH, KCB (10 June 1796 – 16 February 1858) was a British military officer, politician and member of the aristocracy, who held governorships in several British colonies during the 19th century including New South Wales from 2 August 1846 to 28 January 1855.

Read more


Fulton Street

An East St Kilda residential street connecting Hotham and Westbury Streets, Fulton Street was named after one of the founders of Fulton's Foundry in Melbourne.

Read more



Grey Street

Grey Street

Most probably named after Sir George Edward Grey, KCB (14 April 1812 – 19 September 1898) who was a soldier, explorer, Governor of South Australia, twice Governor of New Zealand, Governor of Cape Colony (South Africa), the 11th Premier of New Zealand and a writer.

Read more


Gurner Street

Gurner Street

Named after Henry Field Gurner, Crown solicitor. Born in Sydney, he became the first solicitor to be admitted to Melbourne in 1841. He lived in nearby Princes Street.

Read more


High Street

High Street

This was the original main road which ran from the Junction to Carlisle Street. Originally it was lined by shops and businesses which all persisted until the 1960s when the road was widened. Before High street was established the road formed part of a 'track' which went all the way from Melbourne to Mount Martha.

Read more


Hotham Street

Hotham Street

This street was named after Governor of Victoria, Sir Charles Hotham (1854-1855). Hotham was known for his great improvements with finance for the colony during the time of the Eureka Stockade.

Read more


Jackson Street

Jackson Street

Named after pastoralist and architect, Samuel Jackson (1807-1876). Jackson settled in St Kilda in 1845 and owned a large section of St Kilda between Fitzroy, Acland and Grey Streets. He built his home, Wattle House in Jackson Street.

Read more


Mary Street

Named after the Mrs. Mary Tullett, wife of Henry Tullet (?-1882), an auctioneer and St Kilda West Ward councillor from 1858 until 1882. He was mayor 1868-1869 and later in 1878-1879 when the Mary Street was created.

Read more



Robe Street

Robe Street

Named after Major-General Frederick Holt Robe CB (1801 – 4 April 1871) who was the fourth Governor of South Australia, from 25 October 1845 to 2 August 1848.

Read more


St Kilda Road

St Kilda Road

Named for being the main road between Melbourne and St Kilda.

Read more


St Leonards Avenue

This street was named by architect George Cummings, a respected St Kilda resident who lived in St Leonards Avenue. He was born in Auckland, New Zealand, and became the Mayor of St Kilda on two different occasions.

Read more


Tennyson Street

Tennyson Street

Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson, FRS (6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892) was Poet Laureate of Great Britain and Ireland during much of Queen Victoria's reign and remains one of the most popular British poets.

Read more