|Other Names:||Fern Lodge, Dittisham, Montague Estate|
|Date Built:||1869 ca|
|Owners:||Richard H. Thatcher, Thomas Loader, Frederick Peppin, Harry Browse Gibbs|
Formed by Crown allotment no.197B, purchased by John Bakewell at Government Land sale 1856.9.15, and the later purchase of parts of the adjoining Crown allotment no. 197A from William Kershaw.
The house was built in ca. 1870 for Richard H Thatcher and originally called Fern Lodge. Located at NW corner of Orrong Road and Inkerman Street it had extensive grounds amounting to about 10 acres. The Hon Thomas Loader was the second owner from about 1872. In ca 1879 it was purchased by Frederick Peppin and renamed Keroongola. In August 1905 it was sold to the architect Harry Browse Gibbs (1859-1918).
|Source||Summary or note|
|1.||Argus 1856.9.16 p.5||
Government Land Sale
Prahran Lot 13 Three acres twenty one perches. John Bakewell, £51 per acre.
|2.||Argus 1873.2.6 p.4||
LOADER - On the 29th ult., at Fern Lodge, Orrong road, St Kilda, the wife of Thomas Loader of a son.
|3.||Argus 1875.6.4 p.8||
Land For Sale
For sale, Fern-Lodge, Orrong Road, East St Kilda; family residence and severn acres land, commanding fine views of bay. Apply 104 Bourke-street west. Terms.