Gatwick Hotel, 34 Fitzroy Street

Written by
Gatwick Hotel, 34 Fitzroy Street SLV Pictures image H32492/5120

Edward O'Donnell's house Lockinge stood on this site from ca. 1881-1937. Following O'Donnell's death the house was put up for auction on Tuesday 6 August. On auction day it was passed in but later purchased by Margaret Carter sometime in late 1935. Initially she ran it as a guest house with Lorna Beale as its manager. In 1937 Harry Raymond Johnson architect, then City of St Kilda Councillor for West Ward, was employed to design a new modern hotel for the partnership. By the beginning of October 1937 the 'luxurious' Gatwick Hotel was being advertised as 'only just built' and proudly announcing that it's Oriental chef was Alex Julius.
 

Other Names Gatwick Private Hotel
Date Built Building permit issued 23.4.1937, works completed end of September 1937
Architect Harry Raymond Johnson (1892-1954)
Structural Engineer Clive Steel
Owner (1935-1944) Margaret Carter, 38 Woolton Ave, Thornbury.
Operator (1935-1944) Marlbeale PL, manager Lorna Mary Beale
Other Owners (1944-1977) Louis Whyte, (1977-1998) Ronald & Vittoria Carbone, (1998-) Carbone twin daughters Yvette Kelly & Rose Banks
 

Argus 1937-10-02 p23

Peter Johnson

Peter has been a resident and practicing architect in St Kilda for over 33 years. He comes from a long line of architects, engineers and builders going back at least 5 generations with various branches of his family having lived in the South Melbourne and St Kilda area since 1859.

He has researched and written on a range of architectural and local history subjects, and has contributed to the Australian Dictionary of Biography and the Encyclopedia of Australian Architecture.

Peter has acted as the Society's heritage officer since 2002 and was its president from 2009 until 2015.

More in this category: « Terrace, 31 Fitzroy Street

Registered Users

This gives access to hidden content but members need to set up an account first

Membership Application form