Christ Church

Written by
View of West front from Acland Street ca. 1930 View of West front from Acland Street ca. 1930 John Butler Cooper, History of St Kilda v1, p324

On 23 December 1849 the first Anglican Church service was held in St Kilda at the home of Henry Jennings in Fitzroy Street. Sometime later a timber building was erected on the present site in Acland Street and licensed for use as a church by Bishop Perry 7 November 1851.

The present church was designed by the architects Albert Purchas (1825-1909) and Charles R Swyer. The foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1854 and the first service in the new building was held on 2 August 1857.

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:


Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip

Volunteers

The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.