JunctionOval.jpg

Hofwyl School, 192 Barkly Street

Hofwyl School ca. 1860-1869 Hofwyl School ca. 1860-1869 image sk0692.1-2, City of Port Phillip Collection

The school was opened in 1862 by James Bonwick, a noted teacher, historian and author, who named the school after a famous boys' school in Berne, Switzerland. It was taken-over by Alexander Gillespie in 1872 when Bonwick returned to Britain. It was later renamed Queens College.


The School building was converted into Queens Court flats in ca 1936, Port Phillip Collection image sk0042 .

More in this category: « Oakrood, 181-201 Barkly Street

Login Form

Members login to update account details

Membership Application form

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.