H32492-4638_1220x400.jpg
Barkly Street

Barkly Street

Named after Sir Henry Barkly, GCMG, KCB, FRS, FRGS (24 February 1815 – 20 October 1898) who was a British politician, colonial governor and patron of the sciences. He was Governor of Victoria from 26 December 1856 until 10 September 1863. Prior to 1857 this was know as Boundary Road as it marked the extent of the City of Melbourne's jurisdiction.

TIP: To see all the entries you must be a registered account holder and be logged in. To create an account, see RH lower panel.

History of house with images will be added here shortly. Stay tuned!
History of house with images will be added here shortly. Stay tuned!
History of house with images will be added here shortly. Stay tuned!
The school was opened in 1862 by James Bonwick, a noted teacher, historian and author, who named the school after a famous boys' school in Berne, Switzerland. It was taken-over by Alexander Gillespie in 1872 when Bonwick returned to Britain.…

Login Form

Members login to update account details

Membership Application form

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.