JunctionOval.jpg

Cumloden College (1891-1905)

Written by

195-201 Alma Road, St Kilda East (encompassing the properties either side of Wilgah Street)

 Argus 6.1.1891 p.8.

 In ca 1890 Cumloden villa was leased to William Martin Burn, a senior master at Melbourne Grammar. Following a disagreement with Dr. Wilson, the then headmaster of that school, a group of disaffected masters lead by Burn established Cumloden College. The school opened in February 1891 with many of Burn's students following him to the new establishment.

Cumloden was very successful academically and in many sporting activities. Prominent graduates include Lord Casey (1890-1977), Sir Archie Michaelis (1889-1975), the sons of Sir Lauchlan McKinnon, the surgeon Balcombe Quick (1883-1969), the cricketer Warwick Armstrong (1879-1947) and the architects Rodney Alsop (1881-1932) and Kingsley Anketell Henderson (1883-1942).

Burn was forced to retire at the end of 1905 due to ill health and the school closed with many of the pupils transferring to Scotch College or Melbourne Grammar. In 1906 the grounds were leased to the Anglican Church as St John's Theological College. Martin Burn died on 20 February 1911. In 1920 the property was sold for subdivision. 

Below image: Cumloden Football team 1903, showing the main building in the background. 


[Picture Collection, St Kilda Historical Society]

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:


Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip

Volunteers

The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.