H32492-4638_1220x400.jpg

Holy Trinity Balaclava

Written by
View from cr. of Brighton Road and Dickens Street ca.1930 View from cr. of Brighton Road and Dickens Street ca.1930 Unknown photographer, City of Port Phillip Collection

Holy TrinityArchitect's design with spire (1882)The first church on this site was opened by Bishop Perry on January 29, 1871. It was a timber building accommodating about 300 people. It stood where the Parish Hall now stands. Its designer was the architect Francis Maloney White (1819-1888) who lived nearby in William Street.

In 1882 the architects Reed and Barnes, soon to become Reed, Henderson and Smart, were commissioned to design a new church. The first service took place on December 6, 1883. Due to the Parish's efforts to reduce the large debt that had been incurred in the construction of the church and the vicarage, the building of the spire was delayed. Regrettably this was never to be built.

History of Holy Trinity Church 1871-1933

In 1933, to celebrate 50 years since the completion of the second church, a short history was written. This is reproduced here.

pdfHoly Trinity Balaclava history (2.92 MB)

 

Stained Glass Guide

The below document contains notes and a guide to the stained glass windows at Holy Trinity.
This  was kindly prepared for the Society by Dr. Bronwyn Hughes.

pdfThe Stained Glass of Holy Trinity Anglican Church(721 KB)

 

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:


Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip

Volunteers

The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.